Sunday, September 10, 2006

Cooking On Game Day

Yesterday was the OU Sooners 2nd game of the season (they won 37-20). More importantly that means that it is my day to cook, which i enjoy. I wanted to smoke a brisket and chicken breasts on the grill and Jerusha was making Hot Wings (A perfect snack for a football game).




I decided to try something different at the wife's request with the brisket, she was wondering what it would taste like marinated in allegro for ~30min before being smoked. I usually do a dry rub and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, but I was up to satisfying her curiosity. I first got my hickory wood chunks soaking in some water




Then proceded to start the brisket and chicken marinating, i like marinating overnight but for this time, i was willing to try out the 30 minute theory. This is just the 3rd time that I have tried smoking meats, The last time I did some baby back ribs and they turned out awsome. This time my goal was the brisket, the chicken was just a "filler" to fill up the grill. So, here is my chicken and brisket marinating in the sink:


Once I got the fire going and the wood chunks put on the fire and smoking good it was time to put the meat on the grill. I let the brisket and chicken smoke for 2hrs at about 275-300 degrees (in the future i will try to bring that down to ~250 degrees). After that the chicken breasts were done and turned out just ok, marinating them in the BBQ sauce was not the best idea ever, when they came out of the smoker they had a "paste" like covering on them, but this is a learning experience. I have found a good recipe for a dry rub that I want to try out on chicken, it is located here. The brisket turned out better, it defiently had a good smoky flavor and using the hickory wood produced good results. It didn't have quite as much flavor as using the dry rub that I normally use (that can be found here), but the wife seemed to like less flavor from the rub and more from the smoke.


So, all in all it was a good day with lots of good food to show for it. I learned some things that will make the food turn out better the next time.

3 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger dave said...

Thanks for the invite. I really enjoyed the food!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger MEC said...

No worries, that is next on my list. Have a little get together :*)

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there mecoward.blogspot.com blogger found your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home